Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thing #13: Tagging and Del.icio.us

I did wade through the tutorials, "Us.ef.ul: A Beginner's Guide to Del.icio.us" and "Several Habits of Wildly Successful del.icio.us Users." I also accessed del.icio.us using the PLCMCL2 account, all in an effort to discover the wonders of "the most popular social bookmarking service" (as defined in Wikipedia). I can see that to be able to access your personal bookmarks online, from any location, as well as view the bookmarks of others, is a tremendously helpful tool for those who conduct research. The Firefox perks (e.g., live bookmarks), are interesting as well. I have found that in my own personal use, however, my bookmarks tend to outlive their usefulness, and I delete many of them from time to time without remorse. Del.icio.us is not something that is a "must have" for me at this time but is certainly good to know about.

I did do some research about the del.icio.us name (why this format?) and learned that the name is an example of a domain hack, "an unconventional combination of letters to form a word or phrase."

No comments: