Saturday, September 22, 2007

Thing #11: LibraryThing

This exercise is one of my favorite "Things." I explored LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/) for some time, created an account and enjoyed creating my online catalog of a few "favorite titles." (Link: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Calbear86) I appreciated how remarkably easy and fun it was to create both the catalog and the widget... It has been quite awhile since I have given concentrated thought as to which books have impacted me the most over the years. Although I do not see myself taking the time to "catalog" my entire library, putting together a "favorite title list" was intriguing.

I plan to return to LibraryThing often for further exploration. I am intrigued by the social aspect of it, given that it connects me with others who have an interest in the same titles as I do.

I am also intrigued by the possible ways that libraries can use LibraryThing to enhance customer service. I especially like the idea (as suggested on LibraryThing) that widgets can be used on library web sites to spotlight "featured materials" in the collections.

A few of my favorite titles (Click on "Thing #11: Library Thing," just above, if you don't see book covers displayed here):

No comments: