Saturday, October 13, 2007

Thing #23: Wrap-Up

This phase of Web 2.0 learning comes to a close, but it has opened many doors to further exploration. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of computer use. However, my journey through 23 Things has forced me to acknowledge that Web 2.0 technology (and beyond) is here to stay. It is therefore to my benefit, both professionally and personally, to be aware of it and to have some semblance of knowledge about it. Technorati, Del.icio.us, podcasts, blogs, RSS, tags, wikis... these are terms that I see out there on the Internet each day. 23 Things has given me definitions of these web tools and practical experience in their use. I also appreciated that this exercise was self-paced and would welcome an opportunity to participate in other discovery programs like this one.

As for Library 2.0 and its influence upon the future for libraries, the look of libraries is certain to change. However, I am optimistic that some kind of "balance" can be achieved between "old ways" and "new ways" as libraries move forward in this Web 2.0+ information age. Dr. Nancy Grasmick, Maryland State Superintendent of Schools, summed up my feelings nicely by saying:

“At a time when one might think that public libraries are becoming obsolete, the Maryland library community is using innovative technologies and research to target community needs to make libraries even more relevant to the 21st Century library user, and that’s something that we all can be proud of." (News Release, March 27, 2006)


1 comment:

Darnice said...

Here Here! congrats on a job "web" done :)